Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WAITER RANT by Steve Dublanica


This book that started as a blog by an anonymous waiter in an upscale restaurant is a memoir of sorts. The premise: A 31-year-old ex-seminary student who was laid off from a health care job begins waiting tables during hard times and becomes consumed (sometimes for better/sometimes for worse) by the restaurant lifestyle. He writes a blog ranting about his coworkers, his customers, and his own – fragile at times and hardened at other times – state of mind. The anonymous blog eventually leads to this book, Waiter Rant: Thanks for the  Tip - Confessions of a Cynical Waiter.

The reader (or in my case, the listener – as I enjoyed this as an audio book downloaded from OverDrive) is given a glimpse into the seedy underworld of the restaurant business. The animosity between the kitchen workers and the wait staff, the illegal immigrants, the bribery and corruption between the boss and the staff, the waiters sucking up to the snooty clientele, or worse - the waiters sabotaging the dining experience for disagreeable customers.

Fascinating? Yes. But healthy for me to know? Hmmmm. Not sure. If only I could go back to a time when I didn’t know about the kitchen staff playing hockey on the floor of the kitchen with a customer’s hamburger after he sent it back twice because it lacked flavor or about two people using the restroom for lovemaking. Stories like that make this book not unlike a car wreck – I don’t want to look but I shamelessly and enthusiastically do.

The waiter does have deep insight into the customers’ behaviors. He is blessed with a philosophical slant that helps us see why some people act the way they act, which no doubt stems from his religious training. His boss infuriates him, but yet he is able to see the world from the boss’s point of view and extend a bit of grace.

The cursing in this book shocked me – it may have been because I heard the “f” word over and over. Had I been reading, perhaps I would have skimmed over the profanity. That said, I am sure a point is made with the unsavory language, like he is giving us a look at how restaurant workers speak. But for me, it was just a turnoff.

Overall, I would recommend this book to people who can handle offensive language and some aggressive references to sex, drugs, and alcohol. If you’ve ever worked in a restaurant, I’m sure you might appreciate learning of another’s view of the biz. If you like dining out, beware! You will never look at things the same way again!

JJ

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! As an OCD germ freak, this book might be a bit much for me. But, the premise does sound interesting!
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to read his blog a long time ago but got tired of him whining about customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really find the stuff going on in this book shocking. I was most moved by the part where he FINALLY realized he needed to move on. I applaud him for doing so!

    ReplyDelete